Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday 8 December 2011

Preparing for the side effects....


As one of my new fellow breast cancer suffering friends asked last week, why do we have to get a condition that makes us fat and bald? That was before someone else told us that in some cases people’s nails fall out… What the….?!

I’ve been pretty blasé about the whole thing, but after a day at the Haven (breast cancer care support centre – absolutely amazing place), I realized that other people have been taking things very seriously and preparing for the side effects that (although not inevitable) could well knock us flying with a bump. Have you got dry mouth toothpaste, mouth ulcer cream, baby shampoo, a child’s hairbrush, a child’s toothbrush, headscarves, a wig? Have you been to your hygienist? Have you got an ultra-absorbent towel so you don’t have to towel dry your hair? My answer to all of the above was… umm, no. Hadn’t really thought about it really. Turns out you should think about it. Cos you definitely don’t want to go and buy a wig when your hair’s fallen out on one side and is disappearing with every breath of wind.

So off to the only place one should buy one’s wig – Harrods. The Vicky Ullah Wig Boudoir at Harrods to be precise (again, an amazing place). I went in wanting “a short bob, like my own hair so I don’t draw too much attention to myself”. I came out with waist length brown hair with blonde highlights and a fringe. I was told I could cut it to suit my face. Not. A. Chance. If I can’t have my own hair, I will have the hair I have always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment