Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Chemo 1


Chemo 1

1 down – 5 to go. Tick!

I don’t want to tempt fate or anything (and I'm sure this will...) but day 1 went (I think) OK – home and on the sofa and watching crappy American telly having dispatched the family to the pub for an hour. So all normal then…

Spent the majority of the day in the oh, so flattering cold cap – they freeze your scalp to restrict blood flow and try and reduce the hair loss (although now I’ve got the wig, I’ve got better fake hair than normal….). Freezing cold for the first 10 minutes then your head goes numb and it mainly feels like you’ve decided to rest your head on a rock for a bit. And you look like you’re going sky-diving. Or cross country horse riding. Or on an episode of Total Wipeout.

I did make a lovely new friend as well – my boob twin… We both had the same boob removed, the same number of nodes removed and we’ll be doing our chemo on the same day for the next few months. So it’s really nice to have a buddy to go through it with and while away the hours talking nonsense.

So all in all, a remarkably lovely day (I think there is something actually wrong with me to find so many lovely days in hospital…. Not sure it’s exactly the norm). Lovely, lovely nurses, lovely volunteers and a lovely new buddy to hang out with.

And one of my anti-nausea drugs is called Domperidone. Which sounds a little like Dom Perignon. Which can’t be bad.




2 comments:

  1. Hi, just read your whole blog so far, and just wanted to say that your writing is very good! I hope you are going to have a lovely christmas and have yourself spoiled by your family!
    Is there a way of subscribing to your blog? Sorry I am not very technical

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manu,

    Thanks so much for your comment! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I think (think!) I've managed to add a subscribe link to the top of the blog so it should be as easy as adding your email address. I'm not the most technologically minded though so fingers crossed....!

    Lucy
    x

    ReplyDelete