Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday 17 January 2012

When I don't feel sick, I feel normal...


In between treatments, I feel surprisingly normal. True, the first four or five days are a bit weird with the constant feeling that you might throw up and the occasional heart palpitations. And the sleepless nights cos you’re pumped full of steroids and weird drugs are a bit of a pain. But after those four or five days, it all calms down and I feel normal. So as much as I write about being sick and having to have operations and whatnot, that’s all only about 20% of the time. But, if I’m going to document this whole thing, it’s important I remember the every day as well as the out of the ordinary.

When I AM feeling normal, it’s also surprisingly easy to forget about it all and just get on with whatever I’m doing.

It’s also become surprisingly normal to only have the one boob. When I’m wearing the prosthetic (i.e. every time there’s a chance of anyone actually seeing me), I don’t even realize 99% of the time – it feels no different to my other boob so I don’t even notice it.

Turns out I don’t notice when I’m not wearing it either. Which is why this morning, I looked down at the paper on a rush hour tube into Central London and realized I’d forgotten to put it in and was hurtling towards Soho with just the one boob.

Mortified….


1 comment:

  1. Dear Lucy
    I have just read your blog and i find your comments very brave and uplifting[sorry about the pun]!!!
    It must have been very frightening when you first discovered it. Well done for being so postive.
    Best Wishes Suzes Mum Ann.XX

    ReplyDelete