Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday 26 January 2012

Another day, another General Anaesthetic


Why the hell not eh? Just a quick portacath insertion and I’m on my way. Although it turns out I’m getting quite old hat at this getting knocked out business and I woke up and knew exactly where I was. How very dull. I even asked after Chris, the lovely recovery nurse who looked after me last time. Unfortunately he was on holiday though so they’ve assured me they’ll pass on my “love” (love? I knew him for about 6 hours. Anaesthetic makes me easy it seems.) when he gets back.

So, safe and sound at home, on the sofa with a cup of tea and a black and white film on the box. I’m definitely in more pain this time, although I think that’s possibly more to do with the fact I’ve not been given a drop of morphine and I’m having to struggle through (I’m being a bit of a girl to be honest) on paracetamol. You know – that stuff you take when you have a headache! I have a rubber tube in my chest and a severed vein in my arm! A girl needs her opiates! (She really doesn’t, I’m over-reacting MASSIVELY….).

So all in all, a fairly straight-forward day. Although, I did hear the oddest conversation (although I’m not sure I should strictly speaking be repeating this given hospitals and confidentiality and all that. Ah well – those curtains between the bays are terribly thin. I think God got mentioned somewhere along the line as well, but I was too struck dumb to remember anything past this bit...);

Lady walking through the ward: What are you in for?
Lady in the bay next to me: A lumpectomy
Lady walking through the ward: Ah well, they’re doing a lot of research into breast cancer now. Some people make it, and some people don’t. If it’s your time, it’s your time. But lots of people do make it. It’s like that cruise ship that sank. Those people that died? It was just their time. The people that didn’t die? Wasn’t their time.

Are. You. Kidding Me???????? 

1 comment:

  1. jeezus aitch chryste! Please tell me she wasn't one of those morale boosting volunteers that inflict themselves on the inmates.......

    Could be worse I suppose, at least it wasn't your consultant..........please tell me it wasn't your consultant.
    Take care lucifer.

    XX Jez N Jackie

    ReplyDelete